Self preservation


First off, happy new year! Now is the time to make promises to ourselves that we won't keep. Well...me! This time of the year for some can be difficult, which is understandable and this is why it is important to know to look after ourselves. Even though Christmas time is the best time of year for me, there are other times when it all gets too much and I need to look after myself.

The recovery from mental illness is never smooth, unfortunately. And if you're anything like me, which I am sure many of you are, you will have days where anxiety and depression are weighing down on you like a tonne of bricks making it debilitating to even move. Even on days like this, if I notice I have even the slightest bit of energy, I will try to be productive (if this is even at all possible) and I will keep trying to push myself to not allow myself to fail as I think it as. Of course, this is not the case and I am not failing, I am just having a bad day like anyone else in their journey. But, the problem with me is that I don't know when to stop and rest. When I am physically ill, I want to keep doing things and the same with my mental health. But, what it important to remember is that by giving yourself time to rest, you are giving yourself the best chance at a speedy recovery, rather than pushing yourself and making yourself worse. Having a bad day is not a failure and no matter how hard it is, these are things that we have to try and accept. It is okay to feel this way. You are not going back to the beginning.

Amy Xx