I'll never get a job

I find that one of the main reasons people struggling secretly with their mental health is because of the fear that they won't be able to get a job. I was once one of those people too, but now I don't necessarily see it in the same way. People feel that by declaring that they have a mental illness, or by it being on their doctor's notes, that they won't be able to get a job because people will see them in a different light to the rest of their colleagues or applicants. 

Firstly, it's important to note that there are discrimination laws which makes it illegal for a company to stigmatise you based upon your mental illness. As far as I am aware, you can take them to court if you find this happening. Secondly, I know a lot of people who are currently in jobs who have mental illnesses and are coping just fine. I have also had various types of work experience and volunteering and I haven't been asked about my mental health and if I have declared it, it hasn't been an issue.

Ultimately, the main question you have to ask yourself, is whether you want to live your life in pain whilst having the knowledge that you may or may not get hired regardless of your mental illness, or would you rather live a happy life with the high chance of a full recovery, having been diagnosed with a mental illness and still having the possibility of getting a job? I chose the latter, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

What do you think? Do you have any extra information on this matter? 

Amy Xx