Driving alone!

After passing my driving test in December 2015, my next goal was to drive alone.

For those of you who have been with me throughout my journey, I started driving when I was 17, but unfortunately I had to stop my driving until I felt well enough. The other day however I got my first car! Little did I know how expensive it would turn out to be, but I would pay that just for the freedom any day. 

My first drive alone was very scary! I felt the adrenaline rush through my body and my heart come through my chest, even if it was just a drive up the road. This continued to go on for many weeks, until it appeared that my body just used to driving and calmed right down. I think that worry of the unknown and that I had to completely rely on myself was the anxiety provoking part. But as the weeks passed, I got more confident and I travelled further. Only last month and sometime throughout the summer, I took it upon myself to do a three hour motorway drive to somewhere I had never driven to before. But, I did feel calm and collected and I did have the ability to do it and it turned out to be not as bad as I envisaged. This is how everything seems to be with anxiety - it's always worse than it seems. You're stronger than you believe as well being more capable then you think you are and might just shock yourself with the challenges you undertake - I know I have.

For those of you still learning to drive, or struggling to drive - you will get there. It may be a rollercoaster, but it took many years to get to where I am today, but I still made it and so can you.

Best Wishes,
Amy Xx